Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gourd or Kettlebell?

I found two pretty awesome things yesterday that I have to share on here. First, I went to a junk store on Magazine Street and cluelessly walked around in hopes of coming across some neat vintage kitchen gadgets. There were some old egg beaters and hand-crank mixers, but I doubt they'll do better than my big Kitchenaid. What I did find, however, was a little white trash-can-looking thing from the 1950s called an Ice-O-Mat ice crusher. Done. I'd been looking for one for a while, and saw one somewhere- Restoration Hardware I believe- but this little trash can was cheaper, and undoubtedly better made. I basically dismantled the entire thing in the store, discovered how it worked, and that it STILL worked flawlessly. I lugged the heavy thing around and eventually bought it for $30, along with an $8 map of 1870s Arabia (Lawrence of Arabia is a favorite movie of mine). All in all, not too bad if you ask me.

After that I met a friend at Pinkberry to catch up and then walked across the street to Whole Foods for a pumpkin, gourd, or squash. What I found was a kettlebell or some sort of alien egg sack. I quickly became pretty popular in the check out line, as everyone asked me what I was going to do with it. Apparently "I'm just going to sit it in my kitchen" isn't the right thing to say. I suppose in a place like Whole Foods the employees don't want anything to go to waste, and by the looks on their faces, and their verbal reactions, I could tell they weren't too pleased that I wasn't going to use it for some sort of sustenance. I told them they would see me again when this one rotted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment